Above are my lantana...these lantana grow in the midst of full sun. While our state (and many more) have struggled under the horrible heat, this plant has continued to grow and be a place of peace for every butterfly in the yard:)
Yesterday one of my boys (grown) was talking to me about a family "success story". You know, if we aren't careful we don't see the overflow. We have to really step back and truly look to see that growth expanded beyond our expectations....to see the overflow! I don't stop often enough and it is something I have really challenged myself to do more often!
Most days I spend in what seems like disaster aid, one emergency after another. Scott always says, "poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part." I deal with kids, so I have a bunch of poor planners! Sometimes it is that endless "ya ya ya" that has to be dealt with. That aspect of life is often overflowing!
This morning in the van I took a picture of my ridiculous child who refused to sit in the seat. That child said, "Mom just wants to blog about it." Nope, I assured them that I try to not blog much about them. I allow them to destroy their reputation all by themselves! Which is true.
I like to share the "this is what happened, this is the consequence and this is the outcome" stories. Usually, for me mostly, because I like to see it work! No one wants to hear about the child who refused to sit in the seat and yelled at others, the one who says, "I don't care!" and means it. There is no good outcome. I only blog those situations in great frustration (or as an example today). Those behaviors are overflowing, the drown all the house with negative muck!
I had rather talk about the good stuff. Like the child who three times tried to lock the side door so my wayward teen would not fall out (said teen unlocked the door each time...but someone cared!!!). Or the teen who very quietly moved over to offer that same wayward teen a seat. Or the child who wished that wayward teen a good day (sincerely and kindly). Or the child that got out and opened the side door for everyone who got out at all the van stops. Or last stop child who waved and yelled at Sam, "Have a great day Sam!" What I remember most about that ride was the wayward child....but time and time again I had sweet overflow in my van! I tried to thank each one, to remember that I have 12 children in the van with me....not just one.
The Jackson Fives "one bad apple" sometimes pops into my head. I want to ask which of that family of Jackson's was the inspiration for that song:) Every family has one....and usually that "one" is not the same child!
Overflow is sweet...hope you see some today!!
What a wonderful reminder for me. I will try to join you in this....remembering that out of my 13 children, 9 {sometimes 10} are pleasant, kind, respectful and reaping the benefits of "obeying your father and your mother SO THAT it might go well with you."
ReplyDeleteOh, how I loathe the fact that I sometimes {more often that I want to admit} allow the "bad apple(s)" to spoil the basket...
Blessing on your day "older woman,"*
Summer
P.S. From Titus 2