Monday, August 15, 2011

FInishing the race!

I could blog and carry on a long time about finishing the race.  I saw this funny video (funny but also true) last week about "Old Guys"  I found it funny that the last comment under the video was "Old Girls ain't so bad either. Turning 70 tomorrow."  No matter what point in life we are....finishing this race of life is so very important.  Our walk in this life matters greatly!


Caleb (center) and his buddies.  They are so crazy. These are their race shirts....sure wouldn't be hard to find them!

Along those lines.... My son Caleb finished his 100k crawl/walk/hike/race in 21 hours and 47 minutes.  I don't think he will be traveling to Belgium every year to do it again, but I know as in all things he learned many many lessons!  He also happened to accomplish a seemingly impossible task. In this life it is important to us and especially children to see that nothing in impossible!!  I know that's a big statement.  I do not think I can fly, or that I will grow any taller than my 5 feet 1 inch, but I do think that in the realm of accomplishment and work?  We can condition our bodies and our minds and we can do things that are incredible. 

For the last 16 years I have thought of a framed picture my sister had hanging in her house as she fought her battle with cancer. It said, "The impossible dream, isn't"  How true!!  I say that and I have to follow with the reality that Stacy did not win that battle with cancer. But, looking back?  The battles she did win? The life and example she led?  The encouragement she gave others in the midst of an epic battle? Those things should have been impossible to do.  But, with God, she lived a beautiful life, a beautiful life of service even in the middle of a fight.

The same is true of us in so many ways. Our lives are often a battle, a fight to find GOOD!!  But, I do know, no matter your circumstances you can find good....it may seems impossible, but it isn't!

I want my children to learn that lesson. I think it is among the "learned" lessons in life.  Much like unconditional love, you have to feel it to get it!!  I am grateful that Caleb was successful in a BIG event, he can do anything with God!!

No comments:

Post a Comment