Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Me and Barabbas?

This morning our devotional was about Jesus, we have been on a week long reading and study of his last hours.  The devotional began with "Barabbas and I would have made great classmates in school".  Have you ever had those moments when you read words that offend you?  I have.  I find myself immediately indignant that they would even be on the page!  I, generally, read on in haughty "let me prove this wrong" demeanor.

Today? Today those same thoughts came over me and then?   The writer went on to say:

"Barabbas and I also share in far more than our shortcomings.  Barabbas walked away from a sentence of death to live in the light and warmth of a new day; so did I. Barabbas was given the chance to live differently, to forsake his past and to pursue a life more worthy in the sight of God; so was I. Barabbas bore witness to the sacrifice of another in his place, one who took on his sins willingly; so have I.  And Barabbas was left to contemplate the vastness of a father's love that would explain such a sacrifice, despite all that he had done; so must I, so must we all."

There are times I find myself indignant only to be immediately humbled...this devotion was one such time.  So often in this life I find myself loosing sight of the big picture.  I am thankful for moments that pull my feet back to earth and ground me. 

We are so very blessed, we are so very spoiled!  What father offers forgiveness so unconditionally?  Our Father, that's who!!  May I strive to be worthy and may I always remember in my parenting the ultimate example of forgiveness and keep that ever close to my heart as I deal with others!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment