Yes, I did leave this son at home last night, alone when we all left for graduation. Only once have I ever unintentionally left a child. We left Tasha at church after I called roll and someone answered for her. I HAVE intentionally left many many children. But, I did NOT mean to leave Seth!
I can explain "How" it happened. It went like this.... all the kids (I thought all) were outside playing Frisbee with Doug and Stuart as I cleaned the kitchen after our Graduation Party. We walked out and the kids all slid into different vehicles, each having extras. Grannie and Pa drove, Sarah and Paden drove, Doug drove, Stuart drove, Joseph drove, Scott drove and I drove....too many cars and assumption. Assumption that we had everyone.
As we were walking from the cars to the stadium (still had not gathered everyone back together yet) Scott's phone rang....it was the house. He looked at me before answering and said, "Who did we leave?" I knew immediately....Seth!
Scott kept talking to Seth and turned to walk back to the van. Realistically, I would have have had a heart attack once we all gathered and sat down and I counted (which I do pretty often). After Scott left I looked at my phone....3 calls I missed from home. As we were pulling out of the driveway I had put my phone on silent so it would not go off during the graduation. I had a single voice mail. . . .
"Hi mom, you left me at home. I'm watching TV. Come back and get me, please."
I felt terrible! Scott said Seth told him, "I tried to call mom, 3 times but she didn't answer. So I tried to think of your phone number, I knew it rhymed, and I figured it out."
Thankfully Seth is great with numbers and knows my number and Scott's and Mercedez and Jacob's and the house (except in this case that was no help!!).
That mom guilt thingy still makes me feel sick when I think about leaving my "baby". He was not traumatized at all, if anything he was empowered. He did the right thing and it worked! Hope that doesn't have to happen again:)
This was Seth an hour later.....
A mother's worse nightmare! {{{Hugs}}}
ReplyDeleteI left my new born home once. I was used to carrying her in my belly I guess. I didn't even think about her until I ran in to a neighbor at the store and she asked how my baby was. Funny now but not at that moment.
ReplyDelete