Samuel will be spending his summer (and perhaps some Fall) in an out of home placement.
Samuel needs, truly needs, structure constantly, consistently. We are probably more structured than most "normal homes" yet no where near what Sam needs.
This past week I sat with the Resource coordinator and the high School guidance counselor planning Sam's schedule for next year. We did plan but those plans are iffy primarily because Sam cannot function in a normal classroom setting or be expected to walk, without incident, from class to class.
Socially Sam needs a lot of work. Educationally he does not need a summer off, he needs to hang on to what he knows and move toward graduation. Graduation is a BIG hope of ours for Sam.
This placement is at an all boys group home with an on campus school. Sam will begin working on next years classes and will be working especially on social interactions.
Sam, who really does not like going to church, will spend his summer with a group of Christians who will work with him on his faith too. Perhaps with others traveling that path (not the brothers and sisters he sometimes hates) he will find his way to God.
We hope and dream for our children and it seems to me that most the time I am hoping and dreaming in a direction my children may not actual follow. For Sam my dream is simple....success. I really don't care what he does with his life career wise, I am not concerned if he never works on a mission field, I am not concerned if he has a beautiful relationship with brothers and sisters....these things I DO want:
Sam to be able to live and work independently.
Sam to have confidence in himself and know that God loves him.
Sam to be happy and have people in his life that make him happy.
I believe that God can help Sam with all those things, but Sam is just not "there" yet. We have big hopes and dreams for Sam and his Summer!!
Loves hops all things...
ReplyDeleteOh how I need to remember this little verse.
Thanks for sharing,
S
P.S. I plan on emailing you back very soon. It has been a wild and crazy last few days, with no end in sight :-)
:-) I haven't finished my first cup of coffee, can you tell?!
ReplyDeleteLove HOPES all things!
I hope the out of home placement will give Sam what he needs. Praying.
ReplyDelete