Saturday, May 21, 2011

Spectators/Watchers/Critics


I sometimes think my kids forget that people are always watching. This group was watching Seth and Stuarts ballgame, but it is a pretty familiar sight.

Over the years I have made the comment (more than once) that I have the best band of allies or spies. How it rolls for each child largely depends on the side they choose to be on. If they are in the wrong? My spies, my watchers, my spectators, my group of critics? They will see, someone will see. If you are a team player? If you are in the right? You will have allies like no other!

Thursday I had a tween girl do an incredibly awful thing. I am always amazed at the attitudes of children who are in the wrong. I seriously feel that if you wrong someone else....if you commit a crime...if you are caught doing an injustice? You simply cannot act mad! It amazes me that some of my children do not feel embarrassment or remorse. It also bothers me greatly.

So the consequences increase. The rules change to fit the issue and life goes on. Years ago I was very good at doling a consequence and moving on...putting all the negative behind me. Today though, as my kids get older, I find that consequences are longer lasting (appropriately so!) and it seems to cause the issue to not be so cut and dry. Life is not cut and dry. Life is pretty messy. So I suppose when consequences and responsibilities are long and messy? I guess we are just preparing them for life. If that is the case, this daughter is going to be extremely prepared!

1 comment:

  1. UGH.

    I just emailed you, and then read this post.

    I love how honest and truthful you speak!

    So cut and dry, I agree 100%.

    Now, if I could learn to not take my daughters sin so personally.

    Thanks, as usual.

    S

    ReplyDelete