Thursday, November 10, 2011

dogs

I must confess something and it might change how you feel about me  (not my children as they KNOW how I feel).....I don't particularly love dogs.  I don't particularly even like them.  I never have. 

As a child we didn't have a "dogs"(that stayed around long) until my brother was in about 4th grade.  I remember the day very vividly.  Jon wanted a dog for Christmas, but didn't get one.  He was sad.  Jon was the kid that at one time had 7 hamsters, two birds and 104 guppies (those guppies love to have kids!!).  But, his dream was a dog.  Christmas morning came and went with no dog.  That afternoon we went to my dad's office at the paper mill.  There was a little black dog outside.  We (as in we kids) didn't know but the men at the mill had been trying for a long time to catch the little dog, but none had been successful.  My dad said some words, words I am pretty sure he would never had said without thinking it impossible, ""Jon, If you catch that dog you can have him."  And all of us who are parents KNOW what happened!  He caught the dog, effortlessly and lovingly.  So, Blacky joined our family.

I suppose I come by it honestly, my mom never was a pet person.  I do remember us having to stay home one Sunday morning (my dad was at work) while my brothers guppies delivered about 40 babies.  They became coming as we were headed out the door.  My brother nearly cried because the mother eats her babies if they are not caught and put in a safe place.  My mother who did not like fish,  did love her son so we stayed watching fish be born and scooping them up to safety.  My mom was good like that:)

I so easily see where my mom's love was....in her people, in her children.

In college my roommate  who married Scott's cousin Kent making her my roommate cousin-in-law, Carol had a dog named Cinnamon.  She and Kent lived on a busy street and Cinnamon was crazy (even Carol would have to agree).   One day she was hit by a car and killed.  I sat with Carol and even cried with her.  I never even liked the dog (and Carol knew that) but I loved Carol. 

With my kids?  We have always had a dog.  An outside dog for them to love and render their affections upon.  Today we have Bronte'. 

I like Bronte' as well as any dog we've had.  He's not yappy and he's smart and he obeys me.  I don't feed him treats and have him obedient because I love to do it.  In truth Bronte' would eat the meter men if I couldn't bring him in the house while they are here.  He has to listen to me.

I love watching the kids try to teach him tricks.  Not because I find Bronte' charming, but because my children  are charming.  I love to see them kind to other people and I love to see that kindness extend to animals.  But I still don't like them much.

Stuart has a puppy, Nicco:


Stuart love Nicco.  Stuart can tell me all about the sweet natured non-aggressiveness puppy.  I am glad Stuart likes him.

I never never never like dogs in my house.  I did, for the love of my friend Ms Gail, allow her and her dogs to live here while she was "flooded out" of her camper, but that was temporary.  Not to mention Ms Gail is an adult who doesn't allow others to take her dogs and care for them....meaning she does all the work and she makes them mind and she knows how and I feel about dogs so they were not under foot (although they stayed under the table eating crumbs...that part was actually nice).

Stuart has moved home.  Just until he finds a job. 

Did I mention I talk to all my kids (and Stuart is NOT the first one....ask Doug .....ask Caleb.....ask Joseph) about the responsibilities of a pet.  There are times and places for them (in my mind).  Now, I am 50/50 on the boys heeding my advice.  I generally don't mind, but that's because their pets are not going to live with me.

When we talked about Nicco and what he was going to do with him Stuart assured me not to worry he would take care of it.  So I didn't worry. 

But, home moves Stuart AND Nicco.  Nicco is a boy.  Bronte' is a boy.  The back yard is Bronte's.  Bronte' is territorial...I don't mind, he's a good watch dog.  But, Bronte' and Nicco would not long live well in the back yard together.  Sarah tried it with Max.  Didn't work.  Stuart has assured me Nicco is even tempered and not aggressive. :)  Give him a while with Bronte' and I feel sure he will find the inner male dog. 

Stuart has avoided the issue with me.  Well, duh!  I have made my thoughts pretty obvious.  Yesterday he went back to Freed and without my knowledge left Nicco.  How did I find out?  My boys were fighting last night and when I went to check on them?  Guess what the fight was over?  Yep, Nicco.  In Michael's bed. I'm not sure if Nicco has shots or has been wormed or any of those things that could make me sick to think about!   I put Nicco in Stuarts room and this morning in the small fence in the back yard. 

Did I mention I really don't care for dogs?

Truth be told I am more offended that my wishes are not being respected than over the fact that I had to deal with a dog.

Did I mention I really don't care for dogs?

But I really do love my people. I love Stuart.

This morning in frustration I told Scott, "Someday I might be one of those people who recieves joy from the love of a dog."  Scott gave me a look...lol....and I rephrased, "Okay, I will probably never be one of those people who recieves joy from the love of a dog but I understand that others do!" 

It is with a tad bit of frustration (lol....obviously more than a tad) I blog about the new member of my family.


PS.......


I don't like cats either:)  But I did take this lovely picture of my dad and stepmoms cat, aptly named Kitty Cat.  I might make a good pet photographer......if I liked pets.

No comments:

Post a Comment