Sunday, August 19, 2012

You can use your money....

Today Seth was trying to get me to buy him a go-cart.  Something that is not going to happen. In the middle of the conversation he said, "You can use your money to buy me one."  ....then, realizing he hit a dead end he said, "If I make all A's for four weeks can I have one?"  I tried to think of a way to explain that somethings we do because it is the right thing to do!  I replied, "Seth, I cook dinner every night and what do I get?"  He thought a minute, smiled and said, "Good food?"  He may take after his daddy and go into sales:)  I have to give him brownie points for quick and flattering thinking!  But, no co-cart.


I have a money thing going on right now.  I have always had one...lol:)  But I currently have a couple of teenagers who think my life should be lived to further thier glory.  Obviously that's not going to happen.  I get very frustrated at the lack of good attitudes. 

Tasha brought this list of things she needs:

white one inch binder
jump rope
case of water
hairspray
mousse

I know that list is not traumatic.  But, it is costly, in the upwards (when you take in consideration the brands she wants) of 18-20 dollars.  I would feel differently if she was a helper.  If she willingly and graciously helped.  She doesn't.

Not to pick on just Tasha.... Yesterday Mercedez wanted to go shopping.  Granted with her money, but in my van with the gas I put in it.  And she slept until afternoon and then got up to want to go.  No clean room, no help around the house, just laying around.  If she had willingly or graciously helped? It would be different.

We ordered Fish Hut (a yummy Savannah treat....fish, steaks, shrimp, salads....) for the adults (meaning me, Scott, Bo, Chelsea, Sarah and Paden) on Friday night. I ordered it with MY money (lol...my measly but will cover one dinner babysitting money).  As we were talking Bella could be heard in the kitchen saying, "That's not fair!  They shouldn't get Fish hut!"  Good grief...how on earth did she reason that?  She's been grounded for social behaviors and since then she does absolutely nothing....actually says things like "i'm too busy" or "my back hurts"  ......why would I spend my money on that attitude?

Michael wanted to go somewhere, wanted dad to stop working outside and take him somewhere.  Now, had he done anything to help dad? Nope.  Was it dad who took his things to the post office that morning?  Yep.  Where is that willingness to understand that we are a FAMILY.....which means we all WORK together? 

I find that my children are spoiled.  Not like some....no iPhone, or iPods or cars or such....but spoiled none the less. 


Life is not fair......true.  But I usually am.  I am really fair.

So I am about to be really really fair with my kids.

I can remember John complaining about riding in the front of the van when he was Seth's age.  He said, (if memory serves me) "It's not fair, you don't EVER let me sit in the front!"  At the time my big (haha...5-9th graders) rotated in the front of the van, not little ones.  I said, "Ok John, you are right. EVERYONE will get a turn."  It was 21 days until he got a turn.....as opposed to the every 8th day....he did not argue that point again.  I am back there with my kiddos. 

So beginning today.....Fairness is tough!
 

2 comments:

  1. Very, very true. One of my biggest pet peeve phrases I hear from my kids is "Can I AT LEAST have..." or "Can you AT LEAST do..." when they are attempting to negotiate a treat or privilege. I finally told them all that if I hear the words "AT LEAST" in any conversation about what is expected of me by them, the answer will automatically be no with no opportunity for discussion. At least? are they kidding me? I do dozens of things without ever being asked, because I love them and want our family to run smoothly. I don't point out every single thing I do, I don't need to. They, however, seem super obsessed with everything being "fair". Fair in my house means everyone gets what they need, not that everyone gets everything handed to them equally. If my kids want things to be "fair" they are going to have to start doing an incredible amount more for the family than what I've been seeing.

    Oh why do they mess with us Mamas? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fairness is always tough. And I thought my mother was kidding when she asked who told me life was fair?!

    ReplyDelete