Judging
Don't
judge a book by it's cover but a cover by it's book!!
I saw this on facebook tonight. I had to read it twice but when it really sunk in ...I liked it. It reminded me of Seth today. We were driving down the road and he saw a man on a bicycle. The man was unkempt and covered with tattoos. Seth said, "That man's nasty." You know, we all sometimes have to work on the " judging a book by it's cover " mentality. I told Seth "You cannot judge him by his appearance Seth. You never judge others by that. But you can judge him by his actions (His fruit)....and if he is cursing and being unkind? Then you may make that comment."
Our book...I like that. I heard a neat guy, Taft Ayers, talk about great books a few weeks ago while I was in Peachtree City. He brought three books from home, two I can't remember the titles of but the third was one his wife wrote to him on their 10th anniversary. It was their love story. He said (I am paraphrasing), "These two books could burn to the ground and it would be OK." Then he held up the one by his wife and said, "But this one I care deeply for because I know the author.".
As Christians we should hold the Bible and it's wisdom close to our hearts because WE KNOW THE AUTHOR!! I loved that thought. The more we know Him, the more precious His word is to us.
The quote also made me think about leaving Wal-Mart tonight. I glanced over to see a mom I know and her middle school age daughter walking to their car. This daughter is very physically beautiful. Truly. But she was wearing a sports bra and her shirt had the sleeves cut out and then it was cut all the way to her waist. Breeze blowing through and skin all a-showing. If you wear that shirt you need to stop reading now....seriously....because I am likely about to offend you. I am the mom who doesn't even allow belly's to show in the pool, I sure don't think a 13 year old looking sexy is appealing. And it was NOT hot..it was 10pm. Now, if you are playing basketball and you wear and tank top ....fine. If you are running and have a sports bra under a tank top....fine. Time and place. Time and place!!!
I will tell you, I judge. I will not judge the sad dirty unkempt man because I do not know his lot in life. BUT a teenager who has everything in the world? I think she has appropriate clothes. I think she has something that does not draw attention to her body. It simply makes me sad. Just as surely as I frown on parents who place their boys self esteem in sports, I equally frown on those who let their girls put their self esteem in their body.
We cannot judge a book by it's cover.....but we sure can judge the inside by the kind of cover it chooses. And if the two do not add up? The book and the cover?
Well that reminds me of another quote....
You hypocrites! Well did Isaiah prophesy of you, when he said: “‘This
people honors me with their lips, but their heart is far from me; in
vain do they worship me, teaching as doctrines the commandments of
men.’” Matthew 15:7-9
...enough said.
No comments:
Post a Comment