Monday, November 19, 2012

Tasha our cheerleader

Tasha...is the second cheerleader if you only count Mercedez....but third if you count Chelsea......

Years ago....many years....when Chelsea was in High School she tried out for the Varsity squad.  Our town doesn't have many flipping cheerleaders and Chelsea could (and still can but sees numerous stars when she does) flip.  Her good friend, who was already a cheerleader, talked her into trying out with her.  All cheerleaders have to try out again each year.  So Chelsea did.  And Chelsea made the team.  But, her sweet friend did not.  Chelsea's reason for trying out was no longer a cheerleader and now her friend was devastated.  Chelsea, was very intentional in her actions.  She, in private, talked to the team sponsor and told her that she didn't want to be a cheerleader nearly as much as her friend and asked if she backed out would her friend be asked to join the squad.  The sponsor said yes. So Chelsea did just that.  As I talked to Chelsea after school that day she relayed the story of her friends joy and excitement....and Chelsea was happy for her.  I don't think Chelsea ever regretted her act, and if anything I think the joy she received by watching her friend was enough.  I can tell you sincerely, I do not have many other children who have ever behaved so selflessly.

When I was visiting Chelsea and Bo last week Bo asked if cheering had changed Tasha.  A good question.  What we do often brings changes to our lives, and often to our personalities.  I can say that Tasha had only gained strengths and no losses in her cheering thus far.  I love that she is hard headed and strong minded.  I am serious when I say she will not be led away but she might lead the way!  She is what she is....no surprises, no secrets, no sneaking, no lying...... just Tasha. Saturday she went to Murfreesboro with the squad for a competition her sponsor was judging.  The girls went along to get ideas.  They ate at the mall and  shopped, except Tasha who had no money (because she has no money). She told me she was the only one that didn't buy anything (but she wasn't complaining...just factual).  She said, I just helped ___ shop!   She's a joy (haha...except when she's not)..

These were taken at her first home basketball game:


No comments:

Post a Comment