Sunday, November 11, 2012

A first


For the first time tonight I got up in during worship to go sit with misbehaving teenagers ...that might not sound new, but these teenagers where not my own.

I know I have talked about this regarding my own children.  Years ago Scott told my boys, "If you see mom leave the auditorium you better just meet her in the hall".  One time I did get up to go get someone and met two teenager boys (who I was not going to get) in the back hall:)  They caught on quickly!  It is slightly embarrassing for mom to go get you.....especially since I typically bring you all the way back to sit in "our seats".  Leaving and going on your own does help.  But respect during worship is HUGE to me and I think I  God is with me on that line of thought!   So I am not quick to go get people but when I do its way past time!

Tonight I was sitting (I have drawn a diagram...lol) in my usual place beside Scott and Seth.  Directly across from me were three teenagers(the blue spot).  There was nothing between us except the podium and preacher.  I sat trying to worship but was seriously distracted by talking, giggling, laying over on each other, not respectful teenagers.  No respect during singing, or prayer, or reading......and I am not the only person who sees them....good grief, they are all in plain view.  I asked Scott what to do, a part of me very concerned I would offend them.  Scott said, Just go.  So I stood with my Bible and purse and left to go sit behind them.

One of my long time friends leaned up to Jacob and Morgan and jokingly said, "She's coming to get you." Jacob commented after church, ""But I couldn't figure out why you took your purse?"  I took it because I planned to stay.  Not usual for me.  

Sitting behind them was better than in front.  The back of peoples heads are much less disrespectful than the front. 

You know, it seems that disrespect is something people allow in their children.  I have some children who are sometimes disrespectful, but not often in the face of truth.  These three were.  I spoke to them after church.  One, the visitor, was incredibly disrespectful, incredibly, but not surprisingly.  They were all.  The two who have more or less grown up in the church are both being primarily raised by grandmother/grandparents.....and actually the third is being raised by a grandmother too.  

I pray often that my future does include raising grandchildren.....children NEED parents!!! They need to see respect and love and dedication to God in PARENTS!!!  This is a horrifying trend in America today.  I sure don't want it to be one I see in my family....although....no child deserves to be mistreated or abused....I firmly believe that sometimes "best" isn't an option. But I sure do pray it is not...... Life sure can be hard enough without the loss of parents.

If you wonder what I said to them?  

I think you all have three choices:
one--- be respectful during worship
two--- stop talking and learn to pass notes 
three---- move to the back so you do not disturb others who wish to worship God.

Needless to say, it was not well received.  But my soul can lay down tonight knowing that I did something!  I'm not really sure it was the right thing to do....but passive in this world today is just not acceptable. And certainly when it is in direct correlation to worshipping our Lord!!


6 comments:

  1. Shouldn't have to do it, but I also always find it works.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sigh. Seems to me you offered some pretty logical solutions :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Good for you to be proactive. I'm sure it will make them think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so me, or rather, I am so you!

    Take care,
    Summer

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh i love you amanda! if that had been my children, i would have loved the fact that you corrected them so appropriately. i realize i am not the norm, but i would welcome the parenting assist.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I followed some children home from the bus stop last week to let their mother know that they were hitting a littler kid, lying to me and cussing me out. Then, given the condition of their house and their mother, I went to school and talked to the assistant principal. Sometimes you just CAN'T just be quiet and hope it goes away.

    ReplyDelete