Monday, October 3, 2011

Carrying on....



Tonight was Seth's second football game.  It was a great game (well, a loss, but much closer than the last game!!).  I was really tickled I caught this picture of Seth running the ball.

As I started to the game I was thankful to have Sarah here so I could leave Rosie, Bella, Lita, Tori, Keagan and Lola (the last two little ones I was watching til their mom got home).  I thought as I sat at the game with only 6 spectator kids.....these days are numbered. In less than 20 days, actually 19 days, well in three hours only 18 days....Sarah will no longer live at my house.  What a thought!  It was one thing to have her all grown and going to school (even when she wasn't always at home)....a whole 'nother thing to have her leave for her own home.  Time is slipping away so quickly!!  God really blessed me with two daughters who are willing to step up and help me (even when there is no personal gain).  I am thankful.  Although they sure do leave a big hole in their place!!

I know that hole often seems deeper when dealing with tough kids.  The good seem gooder and the tough seem tougher!

I sat with Sam tonight at the game.  Sam "hates all sports" (those are his words).  Why?  Because "you never let me sign up and play!".  Sam DID actually play several years of baseball and soccer and basketball, but once his behavior became terribly challenging no coach wanted to coach him (rightly so).  I explained that to him. It really isn't mine and Scott's "fault".  Tonight in the middle of the game he began saying he would not be coming back to another game. He didn't like sports.  ......on and on...
I finally turned around and said, "Sam, this isn't about you!  This is about family, about supporting your brother, it doesn't matter if you even like the sport!  Do you see Michael? Is he playing football? No. Is he complaining about being here? No! He's watching Seth play."   Sam began his same old same old whine and I cut in saying, "I sure do feel sorry for your children Sam. I can just hear you now...I'm not going to your game because I didn't get to play I don't care about you!  I'm really sorry that's the kind of father your kids will have."  He immediately stopped, moved a few feet away and didn't say another word.  Within about 10 minutes he was "happy" and trying to start a conversation.  I made a mental note of the words that brought about change(or thought) and moved on.


For now, I have all my Indians in bed, have blogged and am headed to bed too.  Scott is out of town and Sarah is sleeping with me.  I suppose that wild cover stealing, electric blanket hogging, wiggly squiggly girl can sleep with me and I will enjoy it....my days are limited!!  Scott is traveling in that far far away  state called Mississippi all week and I am just carrying on.....

No comments:

Post a Comment