Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Ignoring bad behavior?

This itty bitty ball is one of a set of three....three balls my children seem to argue over nearly every day.  I actually bought a bunch of pool toys when summer began, but these silly squishy balls are the cause of more whining and tattling that I can say.

Today as we arrived at the pool Victoria had managed to sequester all three but then unfortunately she lost one on her trip down the slide. Dan, being the opportunist he is, seized the lost ball for his own pleasure. Can you imagine?  Victoria tried to argue she had it first, Dan argued she still had two and I intervened. 

A lady beside me laughed and said, " I guess you just have to ignore them most of the time don't you?"  I looked at her and wanted to laugh, I actually smirked and said, "No, I do not ignore them because no one deserves to have to listen to arguing.  I will simply sit them out."

As if ignoring them would work?  lol   I think that is so often the way of the world though.  If your child is doing something wrong....ignore them and surely it will go away.  I have found if I ignore them, surely someone will else will join the yapping and someone else and someone else and so on and so on....why?  That's  life. Sin grows it rarely decreases left unrestrained! So for me it is much easier to say, "Get along or get out."  That makes real good sense to me.  If I have to continue to listen to them? Well then the "sit" is a permanent location and I decide it's time to go home.

I had to intervene tonight as Michael would not give Daniel the pillow that goes on his top bunk.  Seriously? Whose was it? Where does it belong?  So what is the problem?   I had a long talk with Michael about just do the right thing!  I know there are days my kiddos just like to hear themselves fuss.  But, I know for a fact that I never have the same day...fussing is just not on my "like" list.  As I talked to Michael I was somewhat reminded of Scott's "If I had to listen to you Amanda I would NEVER do anything wrong!"  If I have to get involved, I have no problem talking and talking and talking.  I rarely "turn anyone loose" until I am pretty sure they are so tired of the "talk" it is a serious reason to not repeat the same offense.

I like peace. I like peace in my house and I like peace at the pool. I realize the world I live in is not always peaceful....but I will always strive to have it that way...if only for a few minutes at at time:)

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful post.

    I loved this,

    "Sin grows it rarely decreases left unrestrained."

    As I often say, 'if you were a fly in the wall at our home,' you would see that if at all possible this Mama restrains sin. The poor kids just don't get away with acting upon their flesh.

    My hope and prayer is that one day their eyes will be opened and they will see for themselves the destructiveness of sin.

    Until then, I am, in the Lords strength, trying to be a gentle and loving "restrainer."

    Blessings,
    Summer

    ReplyDelete