Yesterday Seth played in his last basketball tournament game. They lost....
But, oh how they played!! They worked so hard and they were happy with their game. No doubt winning would have been better...lol....but it was a beautiful effort!
I posted this picture to a dad's facebook wall.....and said, "Hope to be snapping these guys for many more years." The boys have played football, baseball and basketball together (although sometimes on the same team, sometimes not). The dad replied and said he hoped they played in the NBA together. I laughed because every little boy dreams of that but said I had a grander hope of Heaven for them.
He replied, "I agree the NBA needs more Christians."
I stopped replying. I have NO DESIRE WHATSOEVER to see any of my children "famous" by the worlds standards. None at all. The temptation and lust of that kind of success is just not what I want beating at any of my kids door every single day. I agree with this statement, no doubt, but the WORLD needs more examples of living well and pure satisfaction in the life we have. I want that for my kids!!! I want them to be happy with what they have....the gifts from God and to live good lives!!
I know people can play that argument on either side. But for me? I am so not willing to place my child anywhere I believe their very soul is at risk!! Plain and simple.
I have to smile because I realize I was talking to a dad....dad's sometimes want those things more than son's....and spend lots of time instilling the dream of greatness in them. I spend a lot of time un-instilling greatness in that kind of life.
I can say all that and say it knowing (well, believing) I will never have an athlete who will play in the NFL, NBA, MLB or any other sporting acronym. I really hope that if I had that kind of talent in a child I would feel much the same. This life is hard enough to live well when a life is at ease, the turmoil ups the ante! I want good for my kids without "gooder" at something not Christ always being the goal!
But I DO want my children to be able to pick up a ball (any kind) and play.....enjoy.....even be competitive and walk away happy. I love sports...truly:) I just hate sin more!!
Nope! not wrong at all. When my oldest kids were growing up, and playing tons of sports, we always received compliments on how well they played and how they could go far if only they had the right connections or practiced more or we were more supportive (some things said aloud, some things implied). I wasn't the slightest bit interested in dangling that carrot in front of them. It was the same with popularity. I wished them to have one or two really, really close friends as opposed to being revered by their classmates. I have one son who is popular beyond words and knows people everywhere he goes. He's never met anyone he cannot get along with - it's just who he is, his personality and he has been that way since birth. I have another who gets along with everyone but is quieter, more reserved. Everyone is different, had different strengths and weaknesses. The last thing I would ever want is to set them up to fail. Eventually those great athletes fall out of favor, become burned out, succumb to the evils of this world (not all for sure - but too many) and that's just not something that has ever interested us. You are wise to see that too!
ReplyDeleteGood for you Amanda!
ReplyDeleteDebbie
http://thechildrenofmyheart.blogspot.com/