A few weeks ago our Principal asked me to speak on why Parris South Elementary School was my choice. I struggled a little at first. I choose Parris South but I still didn't want to say anything bad about other school to make mine look good. Then I realized he didn't ask me to compare.
When schools were rezoned a few years ago we were not initially in the Parris South zone. We had been for a dozen years, but zoning changed. I filled out all the appropriate paperwork to have my children at Parris South. It was a choice.
Mr Davis simply asked why I choose for my children to be at our school. That is easy. I am old, many of you might know that, I am a really old parent. I have been parenting a long time. I have had someone in elementary school for 20 years. I do not have patience or time for sub par. Whether choosing out doctors or dentist or accountant.....we choose base on trust.
My children are at Parris South because of trust. I trust the administration, I trust the teachers. I trust the experience in teaching that is found there.
When Seth went to school bragging, as little boys do, about his big brother Caleb in the Army in Afghanistan, he had a classmate tell him his brother would die. It never occurred to Seth that he could die. He was devastated. His teacher called me and the guidance counselor. She encouraged the class the write letters to soldiers and spent her time doing it. She talked with Seth and spent time making sure he was ok. It was not a quick fix, it was a long process and I trusted his teacher to say the right things to help Seth when he was at school.
When Michael was in first grade he brought a pocket knife to school. We didn't even allow our kids to have knives, had never talked about not taking one to school because he shouldn't have even had one. When the teacher called we were so thankful to go to the school and talked about it.. I am grateful for a staff was that had wisdom. And equally thankful my child wasn't on CNN's evening report!
On the same page, opposite side, when my Sam wrote on his spelling test that he wanted to stab himself with a knife I so appreciated the call from the assistant principal. I appreciated the wisdom used to discern the seriousness. I was given documentation and Sam was admitted to treatment.
When Mrs Garrison caught Tasha cheating on a test in 5th grade I trusted her judgement. She stepped out the back door of her classroom (for better cell phone service) with my child in tow. She called us and dealt with it immediately! Tasha is in high school making all A's and thriving. The lessons learned in elementary school were not about work done but the work ethic Mrs Garrison taught her....it counts!!! It counts big in my book!
When I have a child tell me something outrageous. I always give the teachers the benefit of the doubt. I can honestly say I have never ever had an outrageous comment be 100% true. I can trust our teachers to smile and correct silly thinking errors!
I trust Nurse Annie when she calls. She is right on the money. If she says they need to come home I trust her judgement. I can depend on her to know and discern. If they says we need stitches, x-rays or simply a ibuprofen. I can depend on her.
I have even had help from the Ladies in the cafeteria when I have kids spending a quarter of a zillion dollars on ice cream. It know it really isn't their job to police the ice cream but they helped me, I trust that I can count on them.
Last Friday I sat at Seth's basketball game. In front of my was his teacher, the lunchroom aide and the secretary. They were so sweet and cheered for the boys. I trust that they care, truly care about my child.
I don't know about the other schools in our county. I am sure they are all teaching the same core material. I am sure they are all dealing with many of the same issues daily.
But those who know me know that in raising my children, all who are unique and have individual strengths and weaknesses....the core material taught is secondary to me. I can get that anywhere!
But, for me and mine I choose Parris South because I know them and I feel (through years of experiences) that I can trust them with my most valuable possessions......my children.
No comments:
Post a Comment