It's not a secret, although it IS Jacob's business, his to share the talk about, but Jacob self admitted to Cumberland Heights, a drug and alcohol rehab a month ago. He completed his in patient and is now actively participating in his out patient classes. It was not a surprise to Scott and I because we knew he was struggling. We gave him the opportunity to take care of it himself and when he realized he could not, we helped him find help. Jacob has had a rough month. BUT, Jacob is making it work. We realize all the statistics about recovery (or failure) and we are very hopeful and prayerful for success.
There are lots of things I could say. I do know I am still very much in love with this sweet son of mine. I am not mad, I think sad is a better word. He did not get in trouble with the law, he did not burn bridges or fall apart.....he just had to change. One of the theologies with recovery is that you have to change "Your Playpens, Your Playmates and Your Toys". Jacob has done that. He moved to another town, goes to another church, is making new friends and making new habits. We miss him but we understand. He goes to a meeting every single day. He is working the program and we hope that program keeps him in the middle of the road:)
Last night Scott and I went to Jackson to a family group. We sat there with an artist palette of individuals and their families. One older Christian man made several comments that frustrated me (haha....and others I am sure). He meant well, his faith obviously honed by years of belief. But wrong.....
When the comment was made that alcoholism (and they always include drugs) is genetic, they mean that some people are genetically predisposed. This man did not agree with science. Science is not right. Jesus withstood all temptation there fore we can too. He believed if you were a strong Christian then you could not be less than like Jesus.
hummm.....First, if I could withstand ALL temptation I would not NEED Jesus!! I am not that strong. I will fail, and I am ever grateful for our perfect loving example who died for me knowing my faults!! Jesus knew I would make mistakes and He still granted me hope.
I thought of children with brain cancer.....certainly "Scientific" and certainly real. Satan...Satan is the author of evil....he is the beginning of sin and the continuation of it. Terribly things happen,some due to sin, some consequence and some for NO reason!
But to us.... Our response is GOD, our response is JESUS. I certainly believe God can help me conquer all evil......but people....it is hard!!! Some evil more difficult than others....but all possible, very possible with God.
I know in life we will always have the "haters", those who do not understand. Those people watch every mistake, take joy in those and take joy in their delusions of superior behavior. But unless you are Jesus Christ you are not in a position to criticize......help? yes. Encourage? yes. Intervene? yes. Love? yes. Hurt? NO.
In this incredibly long feeling life I live some days I try to remind myself that Doctors are not the only ones who should live by the Hippocratic oath....that oath is very much the same as our GREAT PHYSICIAN's......
This is the modern version of the Hippocratic Oath:In summation....."Do No Harm..." Actually...DO GOOD!! Isn't that what we are called to do as Christians?
"I swear to fulfill, to the best of my ability and judgment, this covenant:
I will respect the hard-won scientific gains of those physicians in whose steps I walk, and gladly share such knowledge as is mine with those who are to follow.
I will apply, for the benefit of the sick, all measures [that] are required, avoiding those twin traps of overtreatment and therapeutic nihilism.
I will remember that there is art to medicine as well as science, and that warmth, sympathy, and understanding may outweigh the surgeon's knife or the chemist's drug.
I will not be ashamed to say "I know not," nor will I fail to call in my colleagues when the skills of another are needed for a patient's recovery.
I will respect the privacy of my patients, for their problems are not disclosed to me that the world may know. Most especially must I tread with care in matters of life and death. If it is given me to save a life, all thanks. But it may also be within my power to take a life; this awesome responsibility must be faced with great humbleness and awareness of my own frailty. Above all, I must not play at God.
I will remember that I do not treat a fever chart, a cancerous growth, but a sick human being, whose illness may affect the person's family and economic stability. My responsibility includes these related problems, if I am to care adequately for the sick.
I will prevent disease whenever I can, for prevention is preferable to cure.
I will remember that I remain a member of society, with special obligations to all my fellow human beings, those sound of mind and body as well as the infirm.
If I do not violate this oath, may I enjoy life and art, respected while I live and remembered with affection thereafter. May I always act so as to preserve the finest traditions of my calling and may I long experience the joy of healing those who seek my help."
In my ramblings I must add that life is so unsure and more often than not there will be situations we never thought to find ourselves in. IF we have the foundation, if we are rooted well, then we can use the footsteps of the past to carry us to our next place.....and if that foundation is not there? We just need to bring our tools and begin building!
I think throughout the last month one of my favorite quotes is this....
"We believe God can help us move mountains, we just believe he expects us to bring our own shovel!"

I'm so sorry to hear about Jacobs struggle, but glad that he's going in the right direction. He may have made poor choices previously, but he's on the right path now.
ReplyDeleteThinking of Jacob right now, praying for strength and patience for his heart
ReplyDeleteThank you both, sincerely!
ReplyDeleteso i am way behind, but i did not realize this either.
ReplyDeletei am so sad to hear the news, yet so glad that he is doing the right thing way before most people even admit their could be a problem. i will be praying for sweet jacob. i just love him and your whole family.