Friday, June 28, 2013

Being a Christian

I hope, sincerely, when others think of me the thought "disappointing" does not come to mind.  I have recently spent time with a Christian sister whom I always respected.  I found that as I walk away from every conversation now I am left a little sad.  I think of parenting and my advice to my children and it is the same advice I would give an adult (but I am not generally parenting adults...thank goodness!)....

1) Mean what you say!  Follow through of commitments.  Do not engage in empty promises.  Be on time.  Manage your time in such a way you are not caught in lies.

2) Do not be negative!!  Find the good in others! When talking about those you know remember to include their greatest moments before you ever consider sharing their worst. And if you wonder if you should share the bad? DON'T. Don't wonder and Don't share....that's a good rule.  I know we need to understand others weaknesses to help them overcome them but we also need to see value and greatness in people.  We need to see GOD in them and realize there is no issue He cannot help them overcome.There is a big difference in loving concern and gossip.

3) Be true to your faith!  Be in church, be in fellowship, be in love with God and His people.  If a person is not 'IN" then they are not likely to be much encouragement....if you feel you don't have to be in the assemble of His people to be a Christian?  Well, you just missed it.  Truly.  There is a reason why we assemble, fellowship and study together!

4) KNOW God.  I cannot help but think that anyone who really knows our Lord would not need this list....

I do not mean that I am all knowing! <sigh> I spend most of my time being all learning.  But there are things in this life I need only learn once.  In all my life I am absolutely sure I disappoint people. I know I do.  But I hope that each visit with me does not always fine me as such.....That is just simply sad.

I often look for quotes...oh how I love wisdom from others! Today I found one and it made me laugh....I don't think my little kids would ever find humor in the name of the one who spoke it...perhaps my big kids....but my peers? They will:)

I really did love it....being a Christian is hard, and totally worth it!!!

"Drinking beer is easy. Trashing your hotel room is easy. But being a Christian, that's a tough call. That's rebellion."  Alice Cooper





1 comment:

  1. Alice Cooper? ALICE COOPER???? How in the world do you know who that is?!! You made me laugh and encouraged me today without even trying! When I was young, I was afraid of him (due to the rumors of his craziness and weirdness in concert) and had no clue who he was or what he sang or any of that. Silly now to look back on, but back then, he was taboo :)

    I bet there are times we disappoint others when we are truly trying our absolute best. There are probably times I walk away from a situation feeling like I helped or assisted and missed the mark by a mile - leaving disappointment in my wake. We do the best we can. Only people like us even question our effectiveness in this world. Others walk thru taking what they want and using up the resources of people who are trying to make a difference and that I find sad.

    ReplyDelete