Tuesday, December 3, 2013
technology
If the world were a village of 1,000 people only 70 people of the 1,000 own an automobile. So driving is a HUGE privilege. This week I have no extra drivers because they have lost the privilege....it makes me sad (and busy) but some lessons much be learned. My children do not really understand that just having a car to go get into (that you don't pay gas for) is a treat!!! . They are a bunch of very privileged people. Granted, by USA standards, they may not be given as much free reign as they would like.
According to a study done in 2007 ( which is very outdated I am sure) 60% of children 10-14 have phones and 84% of young adults 15-18 have phones. In our house high school kids have phones (no younger) and no one under 18 has a smart phone (a phone with Internet capabilities). We chose that a long time ago. But watching kids today does not change my mind on that subject in the least!! Last night I sat with Seth at Ryan's Freshman basketball game. Seth is a joy at ballgames. He sits, he watches, he engages and even talks to moms and dads around him. He is a good game watching buddy! But three of his friends (good friends I might add) were at the very very top of the gym sitting with a little girl (well, the same age) all mesmerized by cell phones. They were present, but not. I wonder what changes would happen in Seth should he be given a cell phone like more than half the kids his age. I can't imagine anything taking precedence over his love of sports but frankly I am so not willing to mess with it either!!
Our high school kids have phones with limited contacts. And it is our desire that they learn to use the phone for the tool it is...not allow it to use them!
Mercedez got a smart phone when she turned 18. I can't say that is it a good thing. It currently is turned off due to some issues.
My older children had phones but smart phones were not an issue then. Technology is wonderful....and horrible. It is a scary thing it you watch kids today. I can remember when my children were younger we did not have cable at all. I never wanted the TV to come between doing things....like dinner or LIFE. I had friends who couldn't leave the house because such and such show was coming on, dinner was arranged around commercials, a life that we chose to not have. We watched movies, movies I could turn off and turn on at MY will. I can truly remember when my children first realized not everyone could do that:) I feel the same about smart phones, ipads and such.....I don't want anything that comes between what we are doing....anything that interferes with LIFE.
Technology also encourages poor communication. On one hand good communication because you can send messages quickly. But true communication....talking, conversing, eye to eye words? Lost. I appreciate my child letting me know about late practice or such, but I am frustrated when a message is shot to me over something we should have had an eye to eye conversation about.
Life is truly hard enough without handicaps. Technology can be a handicap.
We are so very blessed....truly. But with good will always be bad. It is our job, responsibility, to choose well!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree 100%. I think that when cell phones became popular with kids under 18 it was all about calling your friends and talking to someone every.single.second you could, but now that there is texting, no one even talks like they used to (and that was already a stretch from the face to face conversations). We are all connected socially by technology, but remain disconnected from each other. I think there is much to be said about simplifying and sticking to your guns when it comes to this. I am still just amazed that the majority of parents in this world think this is ok. We didn't have cable when my kids were young either and actually still don't. I don't actually think there is that much "good" tv nowdays. I buy the seasons of old sitcoms I watched when I was a kid and my kids love them. I think that technology is very addictive, especially to young people, and it's our job to help limit all those temptations. Phones DO interfere with LIFE.
ReplyDelete